Williams describes this stop as follows:
A �small-large trumpet� or reed introduced into Italy by various Flemish-German builders from about 1550 onwards, but not common until the mid-18th cent. in Venice province.
. . .
Tromboncini were very small-scale regals, often of wood, sometimes brass or pewter funnel-shaped resonators; in Venetian organs of the 18th cent. they were placed vertically in front of the Case-pipes or Principale, or in the lower storey of the instrument near to the organist. The resonators could be small, narrow, square, wooden pipes with a smaller metal flaring cap at the top (S. Teresa, Venice, 1772; Angelo Raffaele, Venice, 1749). The rank was usually halved, to allow soft r.h. or l.h. solos; very useful tone-colour in the small Venetian scheme.
Compare with Tromboni.
Tromboncini 16' (regal), Positiv; Passau Cathedral, Bavaria, Germany; Steinmeyer 1924.
Tromboncini 4', Pedal (extension of Tromba?); Columbus Hospital Chapel, Chicago, Illinois, USA; Tamburini.
Original site compiled by Edward L. Stauff. For educational use only.|
Tromboncini.html - Last updated 27 January 2002.