Terpomele (unknown)

Audsley lists this stop with the following description:

The term, derived from the Greek words térpein - to delight, and mélo - melody or song; and first used to designate a free-reed stop, of 8 ft. pitch, which was inserted, about the year 1828, in the Organ in the Cathedral of Beauvais. The reeds were furnished with slender resonators, introducing the proper construction of free-reeds stops. Availing himself of the fact that free-reeds can produce varied strengths of tone under different pressures of wind without alteration of pitch, the organ-builder arranged to impart powers of expression to the Terpomele by means of a contrivance placed under the control of the organist.

Wedgwood also lists it, saying:

A free-reed stop inserted at Beauvais Cathedral (1827-29). The pipes were of Euphone shape. The wind pressure was variable at the option of the player, and the stop, therefore, open to expressive use.

Other free-reed stops a Beauvais included a Conoclyte and a Euphone.

Bibliography

Audsley[1]: Terpomele. Wedgwood[1]: Terpomele.
 
Original site compiled by Edward L. Stauff. For educational use only.
Terpomele.html - Last updated 15 September 2000.
Home
Full Index