Clarion Mixture English|
Sometime during 1800's, the English firm of Walker & Sons abandoned the use of 4' reeds, replacing them in some cases with the three-rank Clarion Mixture. (The firm was established in the 1820's, and Wedgwood's book was published in 1905.) This stop was heavily blown and powerfully voiced, and consisted, according to Audsley, of 4' (8th), 2-2/3' (12th) and 2' (15th) ranks, apparently without breaks. Irwin provides no historical data, but gives the following examples at middle C:
|Clarion Mixture III||8||12||15|
|Clarion Mixture III||8||15||19|
|Clarion Mixture IV||8||15||19||22|
|Clarion Mixture V||8||15||17||19||22|
All known examples are listed below.
Clarion Mixture III, Great and Swell; Holy Trinity Church, Chelsea, London, England; Walker.
Clarion Mixture III, Swell; Church of St. John the Divine, Kennington, London, England; Walker.
Clarion Mixture VI, Fanfare; Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C., USA; Aeolian-Skinner 1971.
Clarion Mixture IV, Great; Troy Savings Bank Musical Hall, Troy, New York, USA; Odell 1882. (One rank of this mixture was reportedly an actual 4' Clarion, but was later removed. The remaining ranks are 17-19-22, breaking back to 8-12-15.)
Original website compiled by Edward L. Stauff. For educational use only.|
ClarionMixture.html - Last updated 7 March 2002.